"Paediatric surgery"

About: Sale Hospital / Surgery/Theatre

(as a parent/guardian),

Recently my toddler had surgery at CGH. The surgeon and theatre staff were absolutely fantastic, however, I was very disappointed with the anesthetist's manner. My child was quite distressed and instead of the anesthetist being reassuring they were yelling at the theatre staff while trying to insert the cannula and told my child they could just go home if they were going to be upset. This resulted in us both being very upset at an already very stressful time and having a more than stressful experience.

Response from Suhan Baskar, Director of Medical Services, Central Gippsland Health 2 years ago
Suhan Baskar
Director of Medical Services,
Central Gippsland Health
Submitted on 06/06/2018 at 15:55

Dear distressed mother

I am very sorry to read your story and hear that your experience with us was so distressing for you and your child.

I hope that your child has fully recovered and welcome you to contact me if there are further supports I can offer you.

What you describe is not what we desire for our patients. We work very hard to provide a caring and supportive environment, particularly for the young and vulnerable who trust us to care for them.

I assure you that we take your feedback very seriously and would like to undertake a comprehensive investigation into what occurred and why, to enable us to learn from what happened and make improvements.

If you are happy for us to undertake such a process, I would be grateful if you would contact me at suhan.baskar@cghs.com.au or on (03) 51 438 700.

Suhan Baskar