"Lack of treatment given in ED"

About: Wonthaggi Hospital / Emergency Department

I arrived at ED (emergency dept) at Wonthaggi Hospital with a painful  swollen red outer ear.  After a nurse  checked this out, she thought it would need antibiotics. I waited to see a doctor, who confirmed that it was swollen, but failed to treat it with anything.

The following day I returned, the ear was worse. After a 3 hour wait I was seen by another doctor who gave a thorough examination. I was handed a script, even though I told them the chemist closed 3 hours ago. A 60 kilometre round trip to Cowes Philip Island to a Priceline Pharmacy  that was open until 5.30pm and I finally got some antibiotics. In my opinion this is unacceptable, 48hrs before any treatment. I believe doctors need to know the closing times of Pharmacy's in Wonthaggi.

I understand antibiotics are not handed out freely, but in this case it was very obvious that something was needed then and there.

Response from Jan Child, CEO, Bass Coast Health nearly 2 years ago
Jan Child
CEO,
Bass Coast Health
Submitted on 19/09/2018 at 20:59
Published on Care Opinion on 20/09/2018 at 09:54

Dear noddy,

I am very sorry that you had a poor experience with our Emergency Department. I would be very keen to hear from you directly so that I can review your file and speak to the staff involved in your care. We appreciate all feedback and use it to identify opportunities for improvement. I would be very pleased if you might give me a call on my mobile - 0472846355 - so that I can follow up with the staff involved and do whatever we can to mitigate future poor experiences. I hope I hear from you.

Kind Regards, Jan