"Feeling like I'm not being listened to"
About: Bunbury Hospital Bunbury Hospital Bunbury 6230
Posted by waltzrm46 (as ),
I attended my very first hospital appointment at Bunbury Hospital at 24+3 weeks pregnant. The appointment was going well with seeing the midwife first, then waiting to see the doctor. Once I was called to see the doctor the appointment was still going well until discussing my health and pending delivery of our baby.
Earlier in my pregnancy, I was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with a 2mm brain aneurysm. This was found by an MRI while in hospital. So since then, I have had that as a scare in the back of the mind. I have now spoken with a neurosurgeon and been advised that the machine that the hospital has isn’t that great for imaging and is a 1.5 Tesla image and can pick things up and be a misdiagnosis. It can read a natural curving in the artery as an aneurysm. I’m now waiting till I’m further along in my pregnancy for an MRI in Perth and will have to drive over two hours to have a scan with a 3 Tesla image. Until then I have to be treated as though it is an aneurysm until I’m told otherwise.
On discussion with my regular obstetrician, I have been told that if it’s an aneurysm then I have to have a c-section to be safe. If not then it’s normal labour just having my waters broken with no assistance.
At the appointment at Bunbury Hospital, I was told that if it is an aneurysm I would be given an epidural and have an assisted delivery using forceps and suction. I was told this is so I don’t have to push and they can dislodge my baby’s head.
This is not what I want and I felt I was not given the choice or option. I don’t agree with this delivery. I have had three previous children and never had any complications with delivery other than waters needing breaking as they won’t break. Once broken my babies have arrived in 4 hours. This baby was conceived through IVF. This baby is very much wanted and been a struggle to have. It’s taken us three goes at IVF.
I feel that my choices for delivery haven’t been heard or listened to and that if I am not listened to, I will travel to Perth to my doctor who delivered two of my other children. I don’t agree with forceps on my baby’s head with the risks involved and would rather a c-section.
I was also told by my regular midwife that I could be induced at 38 weeks and now been told no you can’t. It’s 40 weeks but possible negotiation for 39. I have very large babies and have been induced with all three.
I’m just worried about my baby’s safety in the delivery and don’t feel my opinion and choice is being listened too. This is not my first child and I don’t have complicated deliveries.
Thank you for reading my long letter.