Patient privacy

About: Kununurra Hospital

I was recently admitted to hospital for surgery and was given bowel prep and a 2 day diet which included 24 hrs fasting prior to admission.

My main concern is patient privacy and confidentiality on the ward. I shared a room with another patient who obviously had a day procedure. Patient results and concerns are openly discussed in the room knowing full well that the other patient can hear everything that is being said. There are useless concertina screens that don’t fit the area to be screened, so when I had to remove my clothing for a dressing to be changed it was almost impossible for the nurse to screen both sides of my bed. The nursing staff were great and did as much as they could.

Response from Keda Bond, A/Operations Manager, East Kimberley, WA Country Health Service

Hello Concerned patient100

Thank-you for getting in contact with us through Patient Opinion.

Bedside handover is encouraged with staff and seen as best practice so the patient can be involved and informed in their own care. The process also allows for relevant questions to be asked and answered with the patient and care team present. Thank-you for letting us know what this process can feel like from a patient's perspective.

The screens we use, when new, can be quite tight. We will speak to our staff about making certain that the screen is all the way around as much as possible and hooked onto the hooks provided to increase the privacy.

If there is anything else I can assist you with or if you have further suggestions for change please contact me directly on 0408944305.

Thank-you