"ED experience"

About: Esperance Health Campus / Emergency Department

(as a relative),

My spouse and I spent 7 hours in the Emergency Department recently with some concerns with chest pain symptoms.

The first doctor we saw, in my opinion, was very rude to my partner and whilst we are reluctant to complain because of the wonderful service we received by the nursing staff once the doctor left; we feel it is important that this is addressed.

We do realise the doctor may have been tired and had done the night shift but we did not appreciate the way we were spoken to and the interrogation we received from them.

We would like to sincerely thank Nurse Rachel and Dr Genevieve for their kindness and gentleness and patience manner and we are forever grateful for these wonderful doctors and nurses in our local hospital system.

Response from Peter Tredinnick, A/Regional Director, Regional Office, WACHS Goldfields last week
Peter Tredinnick
A/Regional Director, Regional Office,
WACHS Goldfields

Regional Director

Submitted on 31/03/2020 at 18:44
Published on Care Opinion on 01/04/2020 at 09:44

Dear cubedt95,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Care Opinion. I do apologise for the delay in responding to you.

I am sincerely sorry to hear that one of our doctors was rude to you and your partner at what was clearly a very anxious and distressing time and for you both. We take pride in treating all of our patients and their families with kindness and compassion and I am disappointed that this particular doctor took the opposite approach. While it is true that our staff may experience tiredness from time to time, there is no excuse for being rude and disrespectful to vulnerable people and their families in our care.

By sharing your story, you have enabled us to listen and learn from your feedback and we will take this opportunity to remind all of our staff about the importance of being kind and respectful in all of their interactions with patients and their families.

We would also like to learn more about your experience. So, if you are happy to, we would greatly appreciate it if you could please call Margaret Smillie who is currently acting in the role of Operations Manager at the Esperance Health Campus. At a time that is convenient for you, Margaret can be contacted on 9079 8071 or at Margaret.Smillie@health.wa.gov.au

I was very pleased to read that Dr Genevieve and Nurse Rachel were kind, gentle and patient in their care and I will make sure that your kind words are shared with them. I know that they will be thrilled!

I do sincerely hope that your partner is now on the mend and that you are both keeping well.

Yours sincerely,