"Service severely understaffed"

About: PathWest Rockingham Collection Centre

In my opinion, the Pathwest Collection Clinic at Rockingham Hospital is severely understaffed and in blatant need of greater support/funding/focus from upper management.

I believe the patient backlog occurring at Rockingham isn’t just putting added stress on staff and patients alike, in my opinion, it’s also a health risk during our current COVID-19 climate.

I attended the clinic in the morning for a routine blood collection and when I was still in the queue one and a half hours later, there were so many people waiting that they were spilling out the doors and down the corridors, I felt making it almost impossible to adhere to adequate social distancing practices.

In my opinion, if you don’t address the staffing shortages ASAP, I would bet my bottom dollar that you’ll soon have staff walking off the job.

Response from Martin Taylor, Acting Operations Manager, Regional Services, PathWest laboratory Medicine 2 weeks ago
We are preparing to make a change
Martin Taylor
Acting Operations Manager, Regional Services,
PathWest laboratory Medicine
Submitted on 17/06/2020 at 14:38

Hi authenticxt89,

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact me about the staffing situation at Rockingham PathWest. I apologise that you had to wait for a prolonged length of time and that it was difficult to maintain the required social distancing.

I was aware that there was a staff shortage earlier this week due to 3 staff members being on personal leave at the same time. The Medical Scientist in Charge at Rockingham notified my office of the staffing situation and the Branch Liaison officer tried to source some relief staff. We were partially successful but could not replace all 3. Rockingham normally has a pool of relief staff to draw on but due to various reasons they were not available. We will endeavour to increase this pool of casual staff so we can have a better chance of meeting the demand should such incidents occur again.

The waiting time is probably also prolonged because of the recent decision to increase the amount of elective surgery and consequently more patients coming in for pre-op testing.

I again apologise for the inconvenience this staff shortage has caused you and assure you we will do our utmost to increase the available pool of relief staff so such incidents do not occur in the future.

Kind regards,

Martin Taylor

Acting Operations Manager

• authenticxt89 thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by authenticxt89 (the patient)

Thank you for responding so promptly, Martin.