"Treatment for my child's fractured arm"

About: Sutherland Hospital / Emergency Department

(as a parent/guardian),

I felt there were unnecessary wait times (no one else around and being made to wait). The original consulting doctor left without finalising treatment nor communicating them leaving and any transition of care.

My child's X-ray was taken and I had to follow up 1.5 hours later to get someone to process the X-ray for the next step. I believe the assessment of the X-ray was given by Nurse Practitioner, and it seems they missed the extent of injury (this was subsequently reported by radiologist report after treatment). The treatment was a manipulation of fracture and a half cast.

My child's discharge was actioned with a referral to a specialist within a fortnight. Subsequent X-ray and consultation with the specialist resulted in an assessment that the original treatment was incorrect and did not properly treat the injury. We were admitted back to the hospital the next day for general anaesthetic and corrective treatment with extended recovery required.

Actions by Sutherland A&E were, in my opinion, unnecessarily delayed and/or poorly communicated; it seems the treatment was wrong and I question the capabilities of staff given the subsequent treatment by a specialist.

I believe Sutherland A&E did not act with due care.

Response from Vicki Weeden, General Manager, Surgery, Critical Care, Womens & Childrens Health, Sutherland Hospital & Garrawarra Centre 6 days ago
Vicki Weeden
General Manager, Surgery, Critical Care, Womens & Childrens Health,
Sutherland Hospital & Garrawarra Centre
Submitted on 31/07/2020 at 14:08

Dear Feedbacker,

I was sorry to read about the issues you had during your child’s presentation to the Emergency Department at Sutherland Hospital and would like to apologise to you for your child’s experience on this occasion.

We take your concerns very seriously and I have referred your feedback to the Director of Emergency Medicine (Dr Andrew Finckh).

Although I appreciate you may wish to remain anonymous, should you want your child’s treatment to be reviewed in more detail, please contact Valmai Ciccarello, Consumer Feedback Manager on 9540 8523 or email SESLHD-TSH-Consumerfeedback@health.nsw.gov.au.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and I trust your child is making a steady recovery.

Kind regards,