"Emergency department"

About: Prince of Wales Hospital / Emergency Department

I attended the Prince of Wales ED with an acute sharp pain in my abdomen. I had to get out of there before I could be examined because it seems the hospital does not enforce mask-wearing in the emergency department waiting room, despite the COVID risk! It appeared half the patients waiting were not wearing masks, some even coughing their lungs out. This is so unacceptable, in my opinion.

Also, I felt the ED is seriously understaffed. It seems it doesn't matter how much pain you are in, you will be made to wait for 3 to 4 hours. Another person was bleeding from their nose everywhere in the waiting room for over 1 hour, no one attended to them.

Response from Barbara Daly, ESCM Co-Director of Nursing, Prince of Wales Hospital, Prince of Wales Hospital 4 months ago
Barbara Daly
ESCM Co-Director of Nursing, Prince of Wales Hospital,
Prince of Wales Hospital
Submitted on 08/12/2020 at 15:40

Dear bravofk64,

Thank - you for taking the time to write and raise your concerns regarding your concerns about our non-compliance in ensuring the wearing of face masks in the Emergency Department waiting room during your recent visit. We will ask Department Managers to investigate this incident and provide information on what contributed to this breach. We apologise that you did not receive pain relief during the time you were waiting to be assessed and that you experienced a delayed wait time for treatment.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this incident with you and would be happy to follow up if you can provide your contact emails to SESLHD-GeneralManager-POWHSSEH@HEALTH.NSW.GOV.AU

Kind Regards