"Attitude of staff during COVID test appointment"

About: Albany Health Campus / Emergency Department

Last month, I was directed to have a COVID test (as per WA Health) at Albany Hospital because I had arrived from interstate a few days before as they were experiencing a number of cases again. I immediately phoned the hospital to book an appointment and I was allocated one the next week in the morning. I was told to attend to the back of the Emergency Department and ring the bell. Once I arrived at the Albany Health Campus I rang the bell and eventually a rather, in my opinion, grumpy nurse opened the door and more or less said, what do you want. I explained my situation and was told they were busy and the COVID nurse did not start until an hour later (despite me being given an appointment for an hour before that) and they told me to come back at that time. I returned an hour later only to be told they were busy and to go wait in my car. Almost an hour later I called the bell again and someone came out - ? nurse? doctor? and told me that COVID testing was low on our priority list.

Now, as an interstate resident (and I am also a health care worker) who spent seven months in lockdown last year, I find this attitude extremely unacceptable and dangerous. The doctor was also very rude to myself and my parent.

Had I been turned away a third time from your hospital I was just going to leave and not come back. If I had COVID I would hate to think how many people I could have infected.

In my opinion, if this is the attitude of West Australians then God help you all if there is an outbreak.

Response from Trisha Power, A/Operations Manager, Albany Health Campus, Operations, Albany Health Campus, WACHS Great Southern 3 days ago
Trisha Power
A/Operations Manager, Albany Health Campus, Operations,
Albany Health Campus, WACHS Great Southern

Operations Manager

Submitted on 13/01/2021 at 18:22
Published on Care Opinion on 14/01/2021 at 10:16

Dear hawkgg54,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about Albany Health Campus. I am so sorry, and concerned, to read of your experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to tell us about it so that we can make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I can assure you that COVID testing is a high priority at Albany Health Campus. This is the reason why Albany Hospital has implemented a direct telephone number for patients to call and schedule a time and date for a COVID test. This allows patients to remain in their own homes until their appointment time where testing can be conducted quickly by dedicated staff.

I deeply regret the miscommunication that you experienced when trying to arrange this and I would like to investigate how this happened. I would value the opportunity to speak with you so that I can learn more about your experience. If you are happy to speak with me then please contact me on 9892 2647 or via email at Trisha.Power@health.wa.gov.au

Yours sincerely,