"Communication"

About: Wantirna Health / Geriatric Evaluation and Management (GEM)

(as a relative),

If you are going to have a central number to call, I think you need to ensure that you have staff to answer calls. My parent can no longer answer their mobile phone and so I need to go through the ward to communicate with them. I have lost count of how many times I have been on hold at reception for over five minutes and the times I have (finally) been put through to the ward only to have the call unanswered.

On this occasion, my story is about North Ward but in my opinion, the time taken from calling the general reception number to actually being answered is overall at Wantirna Health.

My requests for the managing clinician to call me to discuss my parent’s care have also not been responded to. In over a week, I have had no update on my parent’s care needs. In my opinion, to say communication is poor is far too generous.

Response from Gayle Smith, Executive Director, Quality, Planning and Innovation, Eastern Health 3 days ago
Gayle Smith
Executive Director, Quality, Planning and Innovation,
Eastern Health
Submitted on 24/02/2021 at 13:45

Dear braceqs88,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Care Opinion. I am very sorry that you have had such a poor experience and that we have not communicated effectively with you. we are very aware of the importance of communication and I apologise that we have not met your expectations in answering your calls, contacting you and providing an update on your parent's condition.

At Eastern Health we want our values of Patients First, Kindness, Respect, Excellence, Agility and Humility to shine through at every interaction and based on your feedback, this has not happened for you.

In order for us to follow up on your particular circumstances, I would like to invite you to contact one of our Patient Relations Advisors in the Eastern Health Centre for Patient Experience either by calling 1800 EASTERN or by emailing feedback@easternhealth.org.au. If you choose to call please be aware that it is possible that the Patient Relations Advisors may be on another call at the time you ring and if so you will be invited to leave a message so they can return your call.

Once again, I apologise for our poor communication.

Regards,

Gayle Smith

(Executive Director Quality, Planning and Innovation, Chief Allied Health Officer)