"Misdiagnosed and kept waiting for a bed"

About: Prince of Wales Hospital / Emergency Department

(as a service user),

After waiting 40hrs for a bed I was, I believe, misdiagnosed and my fractured bones went untreated for weeks until I contacted the general manager to complain and they were, seemingly, suddenly able to find and treat the fractures…

I would honestly not go to this ED again even if I was dying. If I can’t be taken to a different hospital then I won’t be taken back to what I believe was malpractice that I experienced at POW.

Response from Justin O'Hare, Acting Co-Director ESCM Program, ESCM, Prince of Wales Hospital 2 months ago
Justin O'Hare
Acting Co-Director ESCM Program, ESCM,
Prince of Wales Hospital

Nurse Manager

Submitted on 27/08/2021 at 08:31

Dear araeh37,

Thank you for taking the time to write and raise your concerns regarding your wait time in the Emergency Department for a bed and any delays to a diagnosis. We have asked Department Managers to investigate this incident and provide information on what occurred on your presentation. We apologise for the time you were waiting to be assessed and that you experienced a delayed wait time for treatment and a diagnosis.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this incident with you and would be happy to follow up if you can provide your contact emails to SESLHD-GeneralManager-POWHSSEH@health.gov.au

Kind Regards