"Giving birth at 37 weeks"

About: King Edward Memorial Hospital / Maternity

Early one morning I had a lot of fluid leak out which I thought was just urine. I decided to bring my underwear to my scheduled midwife appointment later that morning just in case. Turns out it was amniotic fluid.

To my surprise I was sent to the hospital to do some tests to make sure it was actually my waters that had ruptured which it was. I was sent home at in the early afternoon and told to come back later that night as I was going to have this baby within 48 hours as there is a higher risk of infection if we left it too long.

When we got to the hospital I had this mindset of wanting to get baby out as quickly as possible and requested to be induced. I found that the King Eddies service was great! The birthing suite was large and spacious and we didn’t have to wait long at all for a room. I was induced just before midnight.

I don’t know what I was expecting but the whole experience went from 0 to 100 pretty quickly! Contractions were super painful and I was given laughing gas which helped with the breathing but not a whole lot with the pain. Got to 6cm and begged for the epidural otherwise I felt like I was going to push the baby out then and there. Epidural was amazing! Got much needed relief. I believe I was given just the right amount and my body responded well to it. It got to mid morning the next and I was told to push… pushed for around 2 hours with three midwives assisting me. They were truly supportive and amazing… knowing all the right things to say to get me through.

Even though it was a very intense experience I felt safe and cared for. My midwife team MGP4 were so supportive before, during and after the birth. I couldn’t have asked for a better team :) I probably had 7 midwives in total over my 48 hours stay at king Eddies and they all made me feel comfortable and empowered.

I also appreciated the midwife home visits. Baby and I are super grateful for the excellent care that we received during this whole experience.

Thank you!

Response from Jodi Graham, Executive Director, Women and Newborn Health Service 2 weeks ago
Jodi Graham
Executive Director,
Women and Newborn Health Service
Submitted on 11/10/2021 at 19:06
Published on Care Opinion on 12/10/2021 at 09:52

Dear geminikz56,

Congratulations on the birth of your new baby, this is such a wonderful and exciting time for you and your family! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Women and Newborn Health Service (WNHS), more specifically the Midwifery Group Practice 4 (MGP4).

I am pleased to hear that you had a positive experience with our MGP4 program. We pride ourselves in protecting, promoting and supporting normal birth and we are extremely proud of our staff who strive to provide our patients and their families with the support to achieve positive outcomes during their pregnancy journey, particularly when birthing plans are changed unexpectedly.

It is pleasing to hear that you had a positive experience with both the medical and the midwifery team involved in your unexpected induction, epidural and the birth of your baby. It is great to hear that you received the same level of support from the MGP4 team during your recovery at home.

Once again, congratulations on the arrival of your new baby – I wish you and your family all the best for the future.

Jodi Graham