Respite at Bells - the first holiday in over 10 years without one of the two people I care for.

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

About: HammondCare At Home Northern Sydney Lucinda Cottage Parkhill Cottage

Just returned from carer's respite at Bells at Kilcare. The first holiday I have had in over 10 years without one of the two people I care for. The journey to Kilcare was a big guilt "trip". My journey back yesterday was joyful. I felt I had been away for two weeks. Spending time with other carers in similar situations was so beneficial - no fear of boring people with "my story" - we all have the same story, but different names. It was lovely to observe all the other carers "lighten up" in such a short time. The speakers were very inspiring and I have come away with some helpful tools. Many thanks to one particular staff member for initiating this respite. And many thanks to HammondCare for yet another service (Parkhill, Lucinda and Lindfield Team) that has proven to be "high above my expectations".

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Response from David Martin, General Manager, HammondCare at Home

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your joyful experience at the recent carer’s retreat at Bells at Killcare, organised by the team at Northern Sydney.

HammondCare believes that it is important that both clients and carers feel connected and supported by the community around them. We organised this retreat because we heard from carers how much they would value time away. It is great to hear that you enjoyed spending time with other carers and felt supported by them.

As you said, the Lucinda Cottage team did an exceptional job organising this event and your feedback is a testament to their passion to serve others and make a difference. I am so glad that you came away rested and with helpful tools to allow you to continue your important and valued role as a carer. I have shared your kind words with them.

All the best,

David Martin

• Sorry, we dont allow voting on responses to stories written by staff