Excessive time waiting to have a blood sample

CHANGE PLANNED

This story may lead to a change

About: PathWest QEII Medical Centre Collection Centre

For the 3rd time this year I have arrived at 7am (opening time) for a fasting blood test at JBlock QE11.  For the third time they have been short staffed - one phlebotomist working.

First time I waited 1.5 hours (8th in queue).

Second time was 45 minutes.

Third time is now -I have now been waiting 60 minutes - hopefully not much longer.
All this time for a 2 minute blood test in one of the state’s largest hospitals. Can I bill Pathwest for time waiting? Productivity lost?

I am hangry!!!   I think you need to get your act together PathWest!

Haven’t you heard of relief staff?

Response from Tracy Dixon, A/General Manager, QEII Network, PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA We are preparing to make a change

Dear Hangry,

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced several delays whilst attending our specimen collection centre at J Block. I have been advised that today we experienced an unusual amount of staff sick leave, however this does not explain the previous delays and I would need some additional information in order to investigate further.

We do try and work on a metric of approximately 10 minutes per patient, but this very much depends on complexity of tests requested, and other variables.

Your suggestion of relief staff is appreciated and has been considered previously, however it is difficult to maintain a pool of available and appropriately trained and skilled phlebotomists, which we would access on an ad-hoc basis.

I do feel however that delays in collections should be better communicated to our customers and alternative collection venues offered. This is something I will discuss with the Manager of our Specimen Collection Service.

If you would like to discuss further please contact me directly on 6457 3169.

Tracy Dixon