Becoming very ill while away from home

About: Ambulance Service of New South Wales Sydney / Sydney Eye Hospital / Emergency Department

I am a elderly woman who was visiting Sydney from Queensland during the Christmas period.  Around 12 noon on a Sunday, I became quite ill while visiting Watson’s Bay, which my husband and I had accessed via ferry. Upon advice from a first aid qualified member of the public, it was decided to call an ambulance as I was vomiting, dizzy and quite unwell.

An ambulance was dispatched and I was met and treated by Paramedics Madi and Mitch, who conveyed me to the Sydney Hospital, numerous tests were conducted in transit.

I would like my thanks conveyed to the team of Madi and Mitch, who treated me with compassion, respect and dignity and I am not sure of the outcome should they not have been so efficient.

The treatment afforded me at the Sydney Hospital was excellent. The doctors and nursing staff were caring and compassionate and I was given excellent treatment, diagnosed with food poisoning and was discharged some 7 hours later.

Response from Jennie Barry, General Manager, Prince of Wales/Sydney/Sydney Eye Hospital

Dear falconpc97

Thank you for taking the time to send us your complimentary feedback for the treatment you received in the Emergency Department recently. The staff strive to ensure each patient is cared for with compassion and expert care. They will appreciate your kind words.

I hope you are fully recovered from your bout of food poisoning and are enjoying the rest of your holiday.

Jennie