Legal guardian not informed of transfer

(as a parent/guardian),

This story has had 2 responses

About: Royal Perth Hospital

My step-parent was in Royal Perth Hospital (RPH) awaiting transfer to Geraldton Hospital for rehabilitation. Despite being their legal guardian, I only found out they had been transferred after failing to reach them on their mobile and calling the hospital to speak with them. No effort was made by any staff member to inform me of my step-parent's movements.

Now they are 440km away from all their personal belongings which I will now have to drive up to Geraldton from Perth to return to them. I am infuriated at a broken system that reassured me I would be kept up to date with my step-parent. I am also disappointed I never had a chance to explain what was happening or say goodbye.

After receiving excellent nursing care at another unit, I just can not believe such a horrendous oversight can occur.

Response from Lesley Bennett, Executive Director, Royal Perth Bentley Group

Dear Infuriated,

Firstly let me apologise for failing in our duty to your parent and yourself. It is deeply regrettable that this situation occurred. Transferring between hospitals can be a stressful time for both patients and loved ones and particularly so when the patient is especially vulnerable, as is the case with your parent. I am glad that we were able to make contact with you to apologise in person and collect further information so that we could conduct a review of how this happened. Your feedback has highlighted gaps in communication that we will address and improve. Again, please accept my most sincere apologies for the additional stress and heartache that this has caused in what is already a difficult situation for you and your parent.

Yours sincerely

Lesley Bennett

Executive Director

Royal Perth Bentley Group

Update posted by Infuriated (a parent/guardian)

Lesley,

When I spoke with the people at the Nurses station in Trauma I was also advised that both next of kin had been notified of my step-parent's transfer.

One of them has an answering machine and the other caries a mobile phone.

I have spoken with both people listed as next of kin, they both deny being contacted. I have also just been to Geraldton Regional Hospital for a Geriatrician interview. According to their people, copies of the EPA and EPG were not sent with my step-parent's transfer documents.

I now believe some of your staff lack integrity and competence.