Grateful for the wonderful care

About: Prince of Wales Hospital / Emergency Department

I arrived at the Emergency Department (ED) feeling very unwell and scared with a heart rate of 150 beats/min and flu-like symptoms. Within a couple of minutes I was seen by the triage nurse - my observations were attended and an ECG was done. I was then promptly moved to the waiting chairs in the ambulance bay and only a few minutes later I was moved to a bed and hooked up to a monitor.

The nurse looking after me was very friendly, reassuring and got things done quickly. She made sure I was comfortable. The doctor then came and introduced themselves and examined me, took bloods and inserted a cannula. I was hooked up to some IV fluids within minutes of my IVC being inserted and shortly after that I had IV antibiotics put in my drip and I was sent off for a chest X-ray. I also had a nasal swab attended and an MSU collected all within 1/2hr to 40mins of arriving in ED. I was super impressed with how quickly everything happened and I also started to feel much better.

The nurses were busy but kept checking in on me to make sure I was okay and as soon as there were some test results the ED doctor was quick to update me and my partner and reassure us.

I am extremely grateful for the wonderful and efficient care I received at the Prince of Wales Hospital ED. There was a verbally aggressive patient in the bed next to me which the staff handled with professionalism and plenty of grace.

Thank you for all of your wonderful care. I truly believe it made my recovery much quicker.

Waiting Time

Introductions

Introductions

Explanations

Explanations

Response from Emma Devlin, Acting ESCM Co-Director, ESCM, Prince of Wales Hospital

Hi Februarypr86,

Thank you very much for taking the time to acknowledge our dedicated and hardworking staff in our Emergency Department. The Prince of Wales Hospital is glad to hear you’ve had such a positive experience, despite feeling so unwell.

I am pleased you felt our staff were efficient and professional throughout your journey. Just as important, is you feeling reassured and comfortable as our staff assessed and treated you at the time of your presentation, and all within an appropriate time frame.

Our staff often work in an unpredictable and challenging environment, and often deal with situations like you had witnessed during your stay. I will be sure to pass on your gratitude to the medical and nursing staff in our Emergency Department.

Kind Regards,