My father's care

(as a relative),

About: Bridgetown Hospital Bunbury Hospital

Late last year my father started receiving treatment for a skin cancer that had been left unmanaged for an extended period. It has been quite a journey since, but I would like to take a moment to thank the many health care providers who have assisted to date.

After initial investigations, responsibility for his care (including wound management/dressing changes) was transferred to my parent's local hospital in Bridgetown. As his condition progressively declined, the care with which he has been handled by the nursing staff there, and his GP, has been commendable.

In particular, Nurse Leanne has been outstanding - I believe her culturally sensitive approach to his care enabled my father to gain trust in a profession he has long been highly skeptical (and I believe scared) of. This has assisted him in accepting the care he requires.

Nurse Leanne has since relocated to another hospital, and my father is currently staying in the Palliative Ward at Bunbury Hospital under the care of  Dr. Carolyn, where my mother has been able to stay in a private room with him. This is reassuring given his declining condition, increasing confusion and tendency to panic in my mother's absence.

Despite relocating, Nurse Leanne has maintained contact with us to follow my father's progress, she has continued to be a wonderful source of reassurance and care for both my father and mother. It has been a heartwarming experience and has helped our family so much in dealing with what has been a very sad and difficult process.

Response from Glen Matters, Bunbury Operations Manager, WACHS South West

Dear grateful family member 01,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Patient Opinion, particularly during this difficult time for you, your father, mother and family. Thank you for your kind words about Leanne, and I am sure my colleagues from Bridgetown Hospital will respond as well.

Thank you as well for your words of thanks of the palliative care services at Bunbury. It is very much appreciated and I will make sure this feedback is provided to the staff.

I wish you and your family all the best for this sad and difficult process.

Regards