This is Care Opinion [siteRegion]. Did you want Care Opinion [usersRegionBasedOnIP]?

"Hospital administers anti psychotic drugs ignoring patient's wishes. "

About: Bendigo Hospital (Lucan St Campus)

(as the patient),

I attended Bendigo Hospital Emergency department around two weeks after being flashed in the eye with a halogen search light. I had not been able to get an appointment at the Bendigo Eye Clinic and in desperation and a 14 day long debilitating migraine, I decided to wait in the emergency department, hoping for a confirmation diagnosis and a referral of the damage to my left eye. After waiting four hours (I had expected to wait some time as I knew there would be other more serious cases that would be triaged before me). I finally saw the doctor. I explained that I had been flashed in the eye with a halogen search light two weeks ago and had not been able to get an appointment at Bendigo Eye Clinic and that subsequently I had been suffering from a severe migraine for the last two weeks, with flashing lights, loss of vision, photo phobia, nausea etc. I also explained that I did not want drugs, as that in my experience, they did little to reduce the symptoms of migraine and I really required a referral for tests/treatment and confirmation that the retina of my left eye had been burnt/ damaged by the halogen flash. I even "joked" with the nurse, when she said that we don't give Pethadine or morphine out any more for migraines as all the drug addicts used to come in with migraines just for the drugs! ! I told her that that was ok as I was NOT here for drugs and reiterated I wished for a diagnosis/ referral. I understood the doctor ordered sample/s of my blood be taken for tests as well as a blood glucose test for diabetes. The nurse stated that I was a bit dehydrated and that she would set up a bag of saline and take the blood samples required from the IV jack instead of pin cushioning me. After the bloods were taken and the IV set up, I was wheeled into a dark room to wait. After what seemed forever (really 2 hours) I looked at the time and realised I had been in emergency for six hours now and my children were at home alone waiting for me..........and "what was taking so long? " I buzzed for the nurse and as I waited for her, I noticed that my date of birth on my admissions bracelet was incorrect. The nurse arrived and it wasn't until I tried to talk to her that I noticed that my speech was slurred and incoherent. I then assumed that the IV that they had set up, must have also contained the anti psychotic drug that they had recommended earlier, that I had REFUSED! ! I was very upset at the fact it seemed that they had "medicated" me against my wishes and insisted that they take the IV out of my arm, or that I would "pull it out myself". I was having a great deal of trouble speaking due to the medication and sounded like a drunk or someone with a severe brain injury. I also managed to tell the nurse that my date of birth was incorrect on my admissions bracelet, which she agreed was a serious oversight and that she would rectify. The nurse insisted that I see the doctor, before removing the IV and anti psychotics from my arm. Around 15 minutes later, I could hear the doctor outside the cubical that I had been placed in, insisting to the (I assume) nurses, that I be made aware that I was signing myself out against the doctors wishes. Shortly after, the doctor came in to remove the IV. He appeared to me to be very rude and obviously annoyed at me, ripping the IV out with what seemed little care, then storming out of the cubicle. I was gob smacked, dumbfounded and very confused, I could barely stand up and my balance was very shaky. I steadied myself with my hands on the walls and proceeded to leave the cubicle, where the doctor had left me. I was literally bouncing like a "pin ball" from wall to wall, desperately trying to find my way out of the hospital. I was very upset, confused and becoming very anxious. In desperation, I walked into an office and tried to ask the women at her desk, how to get out of the hospital. She explained and I managed to find my way to the entrance of the emergency department. I managed to phone a friend to pick me up, but as there was no duty of care, I could well have got in my car and tried to drive or walked out onto the road and under a bus/car. PS I am not a recovering "drug addict" but later thought that if I had been, that giving me those anti psychotics against my will, may have been even more serious than the effects caused to me. A few weeks later when I finally managed to get an appointment at the Bendigo Eye Clinic, I informed the doctor there that they had taken blood for testing at Bendigo Hospital and perhaps they could get the outcome of those tests. I could hear the nurse as she called Bendigo Hospital for the results and her repeating my name, address and date of birth, when I remembered that my admissions bracelet at Bendigo Hospital emergency had my date of birth incorrectly recorded and that the nurse had said she would rectify this. Clearly, it seems, she did not. I explained to the nurse at the Bendigo Eye Clinic, what had occurred with my date of birth on my admissions bracelet..........she was then able to access my test results.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››
Next Response j
Previous Response k