This is Care Opinion [siteRegion]. Did you want Care Opinion [usersRegionBasedOnIP]?

"Enforcing mediation."

About: Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services

(as a friend),

The story from the applicant to the department that I believe was sent.

I have not been able to see my child for some time. The family have prevented any contact. When I have tried to see my child I have had a DVO slapped against me. All I want to do is be a parent. This has been an emotional nightmare for me so in desperation I have applied to the department for mediation so I can co-parent.

The reality I see.

Assaulted the other parent and abducted the child.  Once the child was returned, threatened to kill them both. Has been on drugs for many years. Has had a number of DVO's  from the other parent as each one only lasts 2 years and once they expire comes looking for them and threatens to kill them again. Has been released from jail and has requested mediation so can co-parent. However I believe, is still on drugs.

The Family unit

The parent caring for the child has brought up the child away from drugs and violent environments.  Seems to me that the child is a very balanced, happy child. The carer appears to be a stable person, gaining qualifications and long-term work to provide a safe and supportive environment for the child. The carer is fearful of any contact with the other parent because of recent events and threats. The department have forced a co-parenting session despite the violence exhibited and continued drug use. They have enforced a mediation session stating they would be in separate rooms. The carer is not convinced that the department comprehends the level of violence capable against the carer and the child. The carer's experience of the this person's emotional state and mode of operation is that they will use the department to gain access to the child - who does not know this parent - and kill the child. We do not want another name added to those already killed due to domestic violence. Why is the department forcing the carer to go to mediation?

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Wayne Briscoe, Strategy, Engagement and Communication, Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services 8 years ago
Wayne Briscoe
Strategy, Engagement and Communication,
Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services
Submitted on 9/03/2016 at 9:23 AM
Published on Care Opinion at 9:25 AM

Dear Should not be done,

It’s difficult for us to provide any specific advice or response to your story without some further details, but it seems you are very concerned about the well-being of the primary carer and child in the situation you describe. If you would like us to follow up please contact the department’s child safety service centre in your region or call 1800 080 464.

There are also a number of community services funded by the department which may be able to provide advice and support to yourself, and the family you are concerned about. These include Family & Child Connect services and Domestic and family Violence support services across Queensland. These services can also provide advice on how you can best support those you are concerned about.

Kind regards,


  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful
Next Response j
Previous Response k