"Sharing room with a male."

About: Broome Health Campus

As a young Aboriginal woman I disagree, by my culture, to sharing a room with a male in Broome Hospital. It is all about cultural awareness.

Response from Holly Hanna, acting Broome Operations manager, Management, WACHS 3 years ago
Holly Hanna
acting Broome Operations manager, Management,
WACHS

Managers Broome Hospital

Submitted on 03/01/2017 at 16:09

Dear cultural awareness

Thank you for your post. I am very grateful for you taking the time to feedback your experience.

I am sorry that your experience was not one that was sensitive to your cultural needs. Broome Hospital invests in the cultural education of it's staff members and I expect all staff to take cultural sensitivities into consideration when treating patients.

We always endeavour to ensure single sex multi bed rooms but due to clinical need, mixed rooms may happen. I would like to investigate further what has happened on the occasion you were in hospital to understand why you may have been in a shared multi bed room and whether this could have been avoided.

Please contact me on 91942855 or holly.hanna@health.wa.gov.au to provide me with your details so that I can investigate further and give you a more specific response.

Regards