This is Care Opinion [siteRegion]. Did you want Care Opinion [usersRegionBasedOnIP]?


About: Geelong Hospital

(as other),

I treated a client for anaphylaxis. They have a history of severe allergy to all nuts and was diagnosed with this at age 3 years. Today they had an allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis after eating a chocolate and marshmallow slice. They were treated with their own EpiPen that they carry at all times and transferred to University Hospital Geelong by ambulance. They were assessed and observed for 4 hours. During this observation a doctor asked about their history of diagnosis with anaphylaxis and then proceeded to tell them they did not think the client had a nut allergy that could cause anaphylaxis and that the client should visit with their Paediatrician and discuss. I am totally shocked and confused by the doctor's comments as the client had just had an anaphylactic reaction post ingestion of a food that did not visibly have nuts in it. But as they are allergic to nuts it can be presumed traces of nuts must of been in the slice. The throat was itchy and they had a mild rash on their face. They then felt sick and vomited 500mls, the airway became tight, voice became thick and hoarse and they were producing a lot of saliva that was difficult to swallow. I then gave the EpiPen as per their Ascia anaphylaxis action plan they have and carry with their EpiPen. What a totally irresponsible and inappropriate thing to say to a teenager. How on earth can the doctor come to that conclusion based on what had just happened.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››
Next Response j
Previous Response k