"Pregnancy Patient Care"

About: Broome Health Campus

Recently, I had an appointment to see the doctor for a high risk clinic appointment.

I had an ultrasound beforehand.

I saw the midwife first and she took my blood pressure and made some notes. She walked me in to see the doctor (whom I had not met before).

I sat down in the chair and the doctor looked at the midwife and asked why I would be a high risk patient. The midwife explained I was carrying twins.

The midwife then asked me a question and I felt the doctor talked over her.

I tried to explain my history to the doctor and again I felt he kept talking over me and not listening to anything I was saying.

I tried to ask some questions in relation to my care and when I should look at stopping work. The doctor said that I should look at transferring to light duties as of the following week. I tried to explain that I was feeling well and that I would like to continue as long as possible. (We live on a very remote station and Broome hospital is 4 hours away.) He did reason that if I was in town, then I could work up until I went into labour. I tried to tell him that this wasn't my first pregnancy or first twin pregnancy but I felt talked over again.

I left the doctors office and went back into the other office with the midwife and expressed how I wasn't happy with the doctor.

Staff attitude

Staff attitude

Response from Maureen Crowther, Patient Opinion Cordinator, Nursing, WA Country Health Service 2 years ago
Maureen Crowther
Patient Opinion Cordinator, Nursing,
WA Country Health Service

Currently rolling out patient opinion across the Kimberley

Submitted on 01/11/2017 at 18:05
Published on Care Opinion on 02/11/2017 at 09:46

Dear Scan

I'm sorry to read about your recent "communication" experience with the Doctor during your pregnancy check-up.

As health professionals we acknowledge the importance of sound communication skills and listening to our patients as a vital component for all care delivered.

I apologise that you felt you weren't listened to and "talked over" during your recent consultation.

I have forwarded your story to Shane Bolton, the Acting Operations Manager at Broome hospital to follow-up. Shane is happy for you to contact him on 9194 2855 or email shane.bolton@health.wa.gov.au to discuss this matter further.

I hope everything is going smoothly with your pregnancy and thanks for taking the time to post your story on Patient Opinion.

Take care