Recent experience with Catheter

About: York Health Service / Emergency Department

I was unable to urinate recently and went to hospital. I was seen by a nurse pretty quickly and an ultrasound of the bladder was performed. After the nurses had consulted with a doctor from Perth a catheter was inserted. This happened at shift change over. The nurse ending their shift handed over to the nurse starting their shift and made sure that all was good for my well being.

Unfortunately, the catheter used was a smaller one than was desireable and after I went home and went to bed I found that I was leaking around the catheter. I went back up to the hospital and the nurses increased the water in the balloon to stop the leaking. My thanks to Rhiann, Debbie and Linda for the excellent care given.

Response from Sean Conlan, Regional Director, WA Country Health Service - Wheatbelt

Dear Potsy

Thank you for sharing your kind words about your recent experience with the staff at the York Health Service.

We have reviewed your presentation and can see that you were in considerable discomfort. The local nursing staff worked with the Emergency Telehealth Service team to help resolve your symptoms.

I understand there had been challenges with inserting the catheter and that a smaller sized catheter was chosen. At the time of discharge, the catheter appeared to be working well. It is not uncommon for leakage to occur due to a variety of reasons. Please accept our apologies for any distress this experience caused you.

It will be a pleasure to pass on your thanks to Rhiann, Debbie and Linda, along with my own appreciation and acknowledgement.

I hope you are recovering well and thank you again for taking the time to share your story.

Best wishes