Lack of confidentiality

CHANGE MADE

This story led to a change

About: Broome Health Campus / Medical Imaging

I have attended Broome Radiology Department several times over the last year for ultrasounds. The receptionists and staff completing the ultrasounds have been wonderful and I was seen very close to my allocated appointment which I appreciated.

However, on both occasions when I entered the dark ultrasound room, I could clearly see multiple patient names (presuming they had attended before me on that day). I feel this is really unacceptable and a breach of patient confidentiality. Please ensure staff are notified of this and a change is made to avoid this occurring.

Response from Sue Phillips, Acting Regional Director of Medical Services, WA Country Health Service Kimberley We have made a change

Dear capellabm87,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very grateful that this has been brought to our attention as, like you, we strongly believe that patient confidentiality is vital to ensuring trust in our relationships with our patients.

The Imaging Department have assured me that this error has been rectified with the display screen now only allowing the details of the patient in the room to be displayed. Staff have been reminded to check that this is the case prior to inviting the patient into the room.

These simple things matter to us, and we are thankful that you afforded us the opportunity to change the process to prevent further breaches of confidentiality. In addition, your positive feedback about how wonderful the staff have been in providing care has been passed along to them.

Sue