"Poor medical treatment of a young child"
About: Kalgoorlie Health Campus / Emergency Department Kalgoorlie Health Campus Emergency Department Kalgoorlie 6430
Posted by leoth58 (as ),
I would like to let you know my grandchild had a bad experience in the Emergency Department (ED) recently. My adult child had brought my young grandchild, who had an abscess on their inner arm.
My child was told by a doctor to bring my grandchild to ED and followed the doctor's advice. I believe my grandchild needed to be sedated to get the incision and drainage of their abscess.
My child was not happy with how this was done:
1. The clinician gave my grandchild something to relax them (didn’t work)
2. The clinician proceeded to squeeze the abscess
3. The clinician kept squeezing while my grandchild was still alert, screaming and very stressed.
4. The clinician just kept on squeezing although a nurse had told them that it wasn’t right.
5. My child was asked to hold my grandchild down while they were in this stressed state.
6. After all this was done, the clinician gave my grandchild antibiotics, bandaged their inner arm and sent them home.
My child then came over to me at another part of the hospital and told me what had happened. I question how the clinician could allow a young child to go through that sort of pain.
I would also like to ask where is the duty of care to a young child. Now I believe my own child is too frightened to bring my grandchild back to the hospital for further treatment as they feel their child is too scared to come back.
I would also like to say I am not happy with how my grandchild was treated, they were awake while this was going on. Remember they are a young child.
I am not happy. I hope this never happens to another child.