"Disappointed"

About: Royal Perth Hospital

(as a relative),

My fiancé was admitted to Royal Perth after a farming accident. 24hrs post-accident I believe, they still had not been properly washed or repositioned. When they were finally washed by the 4th shift change my fiancé was found to be lying in soiled pants I believe, and had an open wound on their back from the accident. As the injury happened on a farm the wound now appears infected.

I understand that the hospital is very busy but it’s very disappointing that basic nursing care was missed by multiple departments and shifts.

Response from Lesley Bennett, Executive Director, Royal Perth Bentley Group 2 weeks ago
Lesley Bennett
Executive Director,
Royal Perth Bentley Group
Submitted on 25/03/2020 at 13:30

Dear marszw38,

Please accept my sincere apology for your fiancé’s experience at the Royal Perth Hospital. The care you describe does not meet our current standards for assessment of any trauma patient or the re-positioning and hygiene guidelines for all patients.

I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about this issue which will help us maintain our focus on providing safe, effective, basic care for all our patients at this difficult time.

If you would like us to follow up more specifically about your fiancé’s wards and treating teams, please get in touch with the RPBG Consumer Engagement Unit on; 9224 1637, 8 am to 4 pm Monday to Friday or email RPBG.Feedback@health.wa.gov.au so we can better review and address what led to these particular circumstances.

I sincerely wish your fiancé well with their recovery from their accident and injury.

Best wishes,