"Labour and birthing options"

About: Broome Health Campus / Maternity/Midwifery

I am due to birth my first child in a few months and will be attending the Broome Hospital to do so.

I've seen the birthing suites in the hospital and was quite saddened to be informed that in this day and age we still don't have the facilities for a safe and comfortable water birth. Giving birth in the water is something I've always felt I wanted to do as the water calms and soothes me and I believe is a fabulous form of pain relief.

The Broome hospital does have baths available but only to labour in which in my opinion, is so very disappointing. They are not set up for a safe and comfortable water birthing experience.

I really hope with the up and coming revamp of the maternity ward, they take into consideration that I believe, so many of us mothers-to-be would love the option to labour and birth in the water comfortably and safely.

I am still very much looking forward to my time at Broome hospital. My midwife Jo is amazing and Ruth my obstetrician is an angel, I know I'm in great hands.

Response from Wendy McKinley, Operations Manager, Broome Hospital 3 months ago
We are preparing to make a change
Wendy McKinley
Operations Manager,
Broome Hospital
Submitted on 09/07/2020 at 09:13

Dear coinpw78,

How exciting that you are going to be a new mum soon! I hope that your birthing experience is both joyous and uneventful; I can't say 'everything you would wish for' as a water birth is clearly your preferred option and it is true that we can't offer this option to birthing mothers at the moment.

From your post, I can see that you are aware that we are in the planning stage of a birth suite upgrade. We have been working towards this for some time and looking forward with great anticipation to completing this much-needed refurbishment. We have been consulting and I can assure you that we are looking to include water immersion facilities.

Thank you for your feedback about the birth suites and your lovely comments regarding Jo and Ruth. I will be sure to let them know of your kind words.

All the best,