"Birthing options"

About: Broome Health Campus / Maternity/Midwifery

I had my first child in Broome in 2018. Waterbirth was not an option so I had a midwife-led, extremely positive, home water birth.

I am now due with my second child in late 2020. Waterbirth is still not an option at the Broome hospital, and in my opinion, the rooms are not conducive to helping the mother feel safe and secure. Homebirth is also no longer available. I will be leaving Broome to have a second birth.

Response from Millie Stewart, A/Coordinator of Nursing & Midwifery, Broome Hospital 3 weeks ago
We are preparing to make a change
Millie Stewart
A/Coordinator of Nursing & Midwifery,
Broome Hospital
Submitted on 17/07/2020 at 11:31

Dear Birthingoptionsmatter,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about our service on Care Opinion. We value all feedback - we get to hear about when we do things well but we also get to learn about where we fall short of community expectations.

The Kimberley has received funding from the state government as part of the WACHS stimulus package. We have allocated a substantial amount of money towards the upgrade and refurbishment of the Broome Hospital Birthing rooms and I’m pleased to inform you we have requested baths that are suitable for water immersion be included in the refurbishment. Plans are currently being finalised and the works are to be completed in the 2020/2021 financial year.

We are fully committed to supporting the preferences of birthing mothers and assisting the team here at Broome Hospital to deliver women-centred maternity care. I would like to extend my congratulations to you and your family at this special time.

Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss this further via phone 08) 9195 2852 or via email at melissa.stewart@heath.wa.gov.au.

Kind regards,