"A complaint about the information centre"

About: Royal Hospital for Women

Twice, a staff member from the information centre was, in my opinion, being very rude.

The first time, they said I'm not eligible to have a concession parking ticket because I'm not Australian, so I went back with my midwife and they helped me to validate my ticket with my yellow card.

The second time, recently in the evening; my partner came to visit me for a few hours (I had been hospitalised for the delivery of our premature baby) and when my partner left, we went to the information centre with the concession paper already filled by my midwife and the same staff member took the paper for a copy and I believe said to my partner that they are not eligible because they are not Australian. My partner showed them proof of their New Zealand citizenship and they still refuse to validate the ticket. I believe they said to go and pay what we have to pay.

We feel very upset, we feel they were being racist and it seemed they were shouting us that we are not Australian so we have to pay. Very disappointed they treat us that way. In m opinion, no one deserves to be treated differently for the resident status.  We also prove the Medicare and they said we are not Australian.

Please if you need me to clarify something, I'm happy to receive calls or emails.

Response from Helen McCarthy, Director of Nursing and Midwifery, Royal Hospital for Women last week
Helen McCarthy
Director of Nursing and Midwifery,
Royal Hospital for Women
Submitted on 28/07/2020 at 13:55

Dear decemberhm44,

Thank you for contacting us, we are sorry to hear that you had such an experience on our campus.

We take discrimination very seriously in our hospitals and we are committed to promoting equality and diversity. All our staff are required to complete equality and diversity training as part of their mandatory training to ensure all patients and staff are treated with dignity and respect.

We have forwarded your complaint to the Prince of Wales Hospital Information Centre who manage the car parking concessions and they will respond to your complaint.

Helen McCarthy