"Poor customer service at receptionist"

About: Esperance Health Campus

(as a relative),

I felt I was treated very poorly by the receptionist at the front counter of the Esperance Hospital.

I was grunted at and humiliated by the treatment I received.

My child had been admitted and was very unwell, the minimum greeting I would have liked would have been at least a smile and a hello not a grunt and an eye roll!

I have since received an apology by the other receptionist on that day who was extremely embarrassed by the behaviour of their colleague.

I run and own two businesses and if any of my 50 staff treated a customer like the way I was treated I would be very disturbed.

If this staff member does not like their job or didn't want to be there, I believe they should have passed me on to the other receptionist, who was a bright and bubbly lady.

Response from Peter Tredinnick, A/Regional Director, Regional Office, WACHS Goldfields 4 months ago
We are preparing to make a change
Peter Tredinnick
A/Regional Director, Regional Office,
WACHS Goldfields

Regional Director

Submitted on 14/09/2020 at 11:59

Dear frostje95,

I was very disappointed to read about your recent experience at Esperance Health Campus and how you were treated by one of our receptionist. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the hospital as this is not the behaviour we expect from our staff.

We have recently undertaken a customer service excellence workshop with staff to ensure they understand the importance of their roles as frontline staff and how showing empathy towards our clients in these vulnerable times is essential. Unfortunately, not all staff would have been able to attend but we will be running more workshops to ensure all staff are trained appropriately. I do appreciate that our other receptionist did provide you with an apology for how you were treated.

We take feedback very seriously and I would like to address this with the staff member in question but do require more information, I encourage you to contact Margaret Smillie, A/Operations Manager Esperance on 9079 8071 or by email margaret.smillie@health.wa.gov.au I trust that any future visits will be of the high standard that we expect.

I do hope that your child has recovered and is on the mend.

Kind Regards,