"Poor interaction(s) trying to get a domiciliary service arranged"

About: PathWest Perth Collection Centre

(as a service user),

I am travelling from interstate to WA for work and I work in the healthcare field. Due to COVID-19 I am required to undertake 2 weeks quarantine as a precautionary measure. However, COVID-19 isn’t the only health issue I am required to be screened for.

The health service I am employed with instructed me to request a domiciliary service when I was in quarantine to get my tests done. I rang up the number provided and followed the prompts and when I spoke to a person they said to me, ‘nahhh, you’ve pressed the wrong buttons in the menu, now I’m going to have to transfer you for that’. I felt I’d inconvenienced them. It went to voicemail and I left a message requesting a callback.

I got a callback a day or so later and the person seemed utterly distracted. I explained I was in quarantine, my location, what tests were needed and asked when I could tell reception to expect them. They said the next day from 7am to 1pm.

I woke early that morning with a call from someone who didn’t introduce themselves. When I asked, they said they were from PathWest and asked about my location. I felt I gave as much detail as I could but not being a local, I couldn’t give details of landmarks which I believe is what they wanted. It then occurred to the person that I’d just arrived in the state and so they cancelled my tests that morning saying ‘I’ll have to get someone else to do these because you’re COVID, and I have other compromised patients this morning’.

Firstly I am not a disease (‘you are COVID’). Secondly, I don’t have COVID. I am doing my part to reduce its transmission by participating in isolation. Thirdly, I felt I communicated the circumstances of the situation in my initial phone call. So now I am left to ruminate about this unpleasant encounter in the confines of quarantine.

Response from Elaine Toogood, Manager, Specimen Collectiion, Pre-Analytical services, PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA last week
We are preparing to make a change
Elaine Toogood
Manager, Specimen Collectiion, Pre-Analytical services,
PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA

Managers specimen collection processes and procedures across PathWest

Submitted on 16/10/2020 at 11:17

Dear airwn64,

I appreciate you to taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our domiciliary booking service and your interaction with the domiciliary staff. I am sorry that your experience with our domiciliary collection service did not meet your expectations.

Your feedback has provided an opportunity for us to improve our service. With regard to the prompts, we are currently reviewing the 13 path number prompt options to assist customers in selecting the appropriate domiciliary service and ensure the pathways are correct.

We are also reviewing our current customer service training and will be providing our domiciliary staff with additional customer service education, with regard to telephone etiquette and appropriate customer interaction.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to improve your experience of PathWest service with any future pathology collections if required. Please contact me on the number below if you wish to discuss further.

Elaine Toogood