"Communication and staff attitude"

About: Albany Health Campus

We were required to take a Day 11 - COVID test as part of our 14-day quarantine. We were informed that no booking would be necessary prior to the day of.

Upon driving into Albany (45mins) and arriving at the AE where testing takes place, we phoned the hospital and were transferred to the correct line.

The treatment and attitude of the staff member on the other end of the phone was, in my opinion, dismissive and impolite to an unprofessional extent.

Not only was a booking necessary, but it seemed we were obviously putting the staff member out. This was understood by the short and rude nature of the conversation.

We considered our options and instead drove to another health centre where we were treated with not only a base level of civility and humanity but of friendly kindness. Thank you. It was comforting to be received in this way when you've spent 11 days cooped up to do your part and your first encounter with the world at large involves having a metal skewer rattled around the inside of your head.

This sort of treatment at Albany concerns me as people expressing symptoms may withdraw their interest in getting tested after being spoken to in such a way. Perhaps something of this may be relayed to the staff member in question for the benefit of the community.

Response from Trisha Power, A/Operations Manager, Albany Health Campus, Operations, Albany Health Campus, WACHS Great Southern last week
Trisha Power
A/Operations Manager, Albany Health Campus, Operations,
Albany Health Campus, WACHS Great Southern

Operations Manager

Submitted on 14/01/2021 at 12:01

Dear serpensdf74,

Thank you for your feedback about Albany Health Campus. I am so sorry to read of your experience. I would like to sincerely apologise for any distress and inconvenience caused. It is important that our community knows that COVID testing is available at Albany Health Campus Emergency Department without an appointment and that our staff will support them throughout the process. I would be very grateful if you would please contact me so that we can investigate what happened and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I can confirm that Albany Hospital has implemented a direct telephone number for patients to call and schedule a time and date for a COVID test. This has been done to supplement, and not replace, COVID testing on walk-in basis through the Emergency Department. Telephoning in advance to schedule an appointment offers our patients the convenience of remaining in their own homes until their appointment time, as the Emergency Department at Albany Health Campus is often a very busy department.

If you are happy to speak with me so that I can learn more about what happened then please contact me on 9892 2647 or via email at Trisha.Power@health.wa.gov.au.

Yours sincerely