"Unaccepted due to low BMI"

About: King Edward Memorial Hospital / Community Midwifery Program

I applied to CMP for my second pregnancy recently and got a response the next day stating that I wasn’t accepted into the program due to my BMI not meeting the criteria. The issue I have with this is that I birthed my firstborn through CMP a few years ago. My BMI was just above 18. I had a 0 complication pregnancy and a natural drug-free birth, also with 0 complications. I naturally have a slim build and I have a fast metabolism which doesn’t allow me to put on weight very easily but there is no issue with this and my doctor is not concerned. I am still breastfeeding my first child which can also contribute to my weight.

When I applied for CMP for this pregnancy, my BMI was slightly under my previous pregnancy BMI. My current pregnancy is low-risk I believe (as was my first) and I feel that this is extremely unfair and it’s discrimination towards slim people as I feel like I am being treated and labelled as an unhealthy woman - which I am not. In my opinion, this should not be the reason for missing out on a one-on-one personal experience with a midwife (which I am familiar with) and being forced to take an alternative route through a different system (which I am not familiar with).

I did not think that re-applying for a program I have previously been a part of where I had such an excellent experience with my midwife would become such a hassle the second time around. This has caused stress on my behalf and I am disgusted how the KEMH/CMP system accepts or rejects patients simply based on, I believe, their BMI. I feel this needs to be looked into because it’s simply not good enough.

And to add, I also responded to the email of rejection I received the next day and got no reply which I found disappointing and unprofessional!