About: Nepean Hospital / General surgery Nepean Hospital General surgery Kingswood 2747
Posted by izarhw83 (as ),
In regards to my recent admission to APC ward, Nepean Hospital.
First of all, I would like to acknowledge that I spent a great deal of time there a few years back. Up until now, I have always been impressed with the hospital's level of care but my recent stay there was shocking, in my opinion.
In this regard, I refer you to the following noted concerns.
1. Throughout my entire stay, I felt some staff presented as rude, non-attentive and uncaring. One nurse, in particular, I felt had taken a disliking to me for no apparent reason, seriously hurting me twice when trying to canulate. They chose my swollen hand and pulled it twice, resulting in me reeling in pain.
2. 25-hour wait to have a Dr enter approval for a prescribed drug I bought to the hospital. I supplied the drug, the approval letter from the ACT for the drug, scripts and my prescribing Dr's details upon arrival.
3. New canular for IV antibiotics. First canular blocked after six hours, and despite my repeated requests and, in my opinion, expected dismissals from staff, it seems I still had to wait 13 hours for a new one. Initially, a nurse tried for 10 minutes and left, another looked at it and never returned, so then I waited on a Dr from somewhere else to show up and put it in. All up, I was off antibiotics for 13 and a half hours. (took Dr 2 minutes in canulate upon their arrival).
4. Showers after mornings were left uncleaned, with towels, soaps, gowns left on the floors of cubicles for most of the day. I had to physically move wet towels to enter the toilet.
5. It appeared there was total confusion in regards to my daily medications, despite supplying a letter from GP stating same. In most instances, I advised the nursing staff what I required and used my own from my tablet box.
6. Moved continually from the ED waiting room to Short Stay and back again throughout the day.
7. No communication from nurses or Drs in regards to my current situation, treatment and admission.
I seriously hope that I just got Nepean Hospital on a bad couple of days, but from my perspective, your hospital and staff just looked out of their depth and inept.