"Emergency Care"

About: Bunbury Hospital / Emergency Department

I was in self-isolation after arriving from Queensland and I am under a chronic disease management plan.

Earlier this month, I was in intense pain and feeling extremely sick and rang the COVID line 13COVID and spoke to the person on the phone who advised me to take myself to the hospital (Bunbury).

I arrived at Emergency and advised the clerk I was under self-isolation and I had spoken to someone from the COVID centre and was told to present myself.

I was told that I had no right to be there and I was breaking the law as I hadn’t notified the police. I was told nothing was going to happen until I had a COVID test, regardless of the fact I had a test done 5 days earlier and negative results.

I went down to get a test done and was greeted by Tara and I explained why I was there and yes, I was given permission to present myself. Tara, in my opinion, did an absolutely amazing job and made me feel comfortable in the situation. After the test, I was taken by Tara back to Emergency and instantly put in a side room, feeling like a criminal.

On a side note, I was on the phone for 20 minutes trying to contact WA police but never got to speak to anyone

To be honest, Tara went above what was needed to ensure that I was going to receive medical attention and her whole personality and nature was the best

I did leave the hospital with scripts for antibiotics.

Response from Jeremy Higgins, A/Operations Manager Bunbury Hospital, WACHS South West last week
We are preparing to make a change
Jeremy Higgins
A/Operations Manager Bunbury Hospital,
WACHS South West
Submitted on 19/02/2021 at 22:59
Published on Care Opinion on 22/02/2021 at 10:44

Dear elephantgd78,

Thankyou for sharing your experience of your presentation to the Bunbury Hospital Emergency Department on Care Opinion. I am very sorry to hear that when you presented to the Emergency Department in pain and feeling sick, that you didn't feel welcome, particularly after you were given advice to come to the Emergency Department from the Covid Hotline.

The Bunbury Hospital Emergency Department is set up to manage sick patients who may be at risk of Covid and our staff are trained to safely provide care in these circumstances. The Covid Clinic located at the hospital also supports screening of patients with Covid like symptoms.

I am really glad to hear that Tara took care of you and ensured you got the right care in the right place. Bunbury Hospital is lucky to have many wonderful staff like Tara and I am glad to hear you got the treatment you needed. I will also share this feedback with Tara which I am sure it will make her day!

To understand more about what occurred with your experience in the Emergency Department I encourage you to reach out to make contact with our Customer Liaison Officer on 9722 1521. I hope you are feeling much better now and please be assured your concerns have been heard and changes will be made to improve the communication.

Jeremy Higgins