"Wonthaggi ED"

About: Wonthaggi Hospital / Emergency Department

(as a relative),

I recently had to take my elderly mother to Wonthaggi ED after she suffered a nasty fall resulting in a very painful arm and shoulder and a knock to her head.

The treatment she received was exceptionally thorough, from a complete check of her body for any other injuries, ECG, head and neck CT, X-ray of her arm and shoulder, blood tests and tetanus injection as she also grazed her hand in the fall.

Her treating junior doctor Julia was fantastic as were the nurses and other doctors, and even though this fiercely independent woman in her 90s kept telling me 'they are making too much fuss', I am so glad they did. Thank you Wonthaggi ED, you are the best.

Response from Jan Child, CEO, Bass Coast Health last month
Jan Child
CEO,
Bass Coast Health
Submitted on 16/04/2021 at 07:34

Dear pageryk55,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this, and for chatting to me directly to tell me your experience. It is true to say that our ED has been busier than I have ever known it. I am so proud that amidst the difficulties our ED staff have faced (workforce shortfalls, limited treatment space, difficulty facilitating transfers), that our staff continue to care for our patients with genuine kindness. It's been really tough on all ED teams over the past 13 months but I can hand on heart say that the staff in Wonthaggi ED all come to work everyday, to serve their local community, because they want their mums to be cared for just like yours was. Thank you for providing a great reminder to us all that this kindness and compassion is truly valued!

Warmest regards,