"ED Presentation"

About: Bunbury Hospital / Emergency Department

(as a service user),

I presented to Bunbury ED with my relative in law because their young child was unwell.

It was a late night/early morning visit as we were concerned about their breathing after being unwell for 4-5 days prior.

A particular clinician was very rude I felt, and not compassionate. They also did not record the temperature (which was a main concern of ours).

Another nurse who brought us into the ED department was, I felt, less rude but also not overly compassionate/caring. They made the remark that the child in the bay next to us, had a real reason to cry, as they were really unwell, unlike my grandchild. They also reported no fevers, which I believe was untrue.

The Dr was very friendly and did a thorough examination. We were reassured and appreciated the time he took to explain things to us.

We then received a diagnosis by the GP a few days later.

Overall, I think the nursing staff need to improve their attitude and understanding toward a worried mother concerned about her young child and not be made feel like she was an inconvenience attending the ED.

Response from Jeremy Higgins, A/Operations Manager Bunbury Hospital, WACHS South West last week
Jeremy Higgins
A/Operations Manager Bunbury Hospital,
WACHS South West
Submitted on 04/05/2021 at 21:16
Published on Care Opinion on 07/05/2021 at 15:42

Dear octanssk77,

Thank you sincerely for sharing your care experience in the Bunbury Hospital Emergency Department with your relative. For Grandparents, and parents who know their child better than anyone, it is important you are listened to and supported in a caring and compassionate way when you come to the Emergency department. I am sincerely sorry this was not your experience when you arrived and were brought into the department

I am worried to hear about your experience. If you are happy to, I encourage you to contact me on my mobile on 0438 062 341, or if you prefer you can call our Customer Liaison Officer tomorrow on 9722 1521, so we can ascertain some more detail, investigate and act to prevent this experience happening again to other patients and their families.

I am glad to hear that the Doctor was friendly and did a thorough examination and that you were reassured before discharge and I sincerely hope your relative's child is recovering well.

Jeremy Higgins