"Hospital admission"

About: Geraldton Hospital / Emergency Department

To whom it may concern,

I would like to make a complaint about multiple problems.

I was recently admitted to Geraldton regional hospital from the for a period of a few days late last month and during that time my experience was horrible.

I believe I was ignored and felt my concerns were not addressed.

I was admitted on the first day for bowel prep I went through it (I'm now in the middle of a flair of my chronic illness) just for my surgery to be cancelled because, I understand, the anaesthetist wasn’t comfortable treating me.

I believe they tried to discharge me before I was ready (they tried to discharge me while I couldn’t keep anything down) I made a care call so they seemingly finally listened.

I felt they treated me like I was crazy and a drug seeker because I have adhd and I'm on medication for it.

I have lost 17 kg in a month and I'm worried I'm getting malnourished because I can't eat properly due to gastroparesis but because I am seen as over weight/obese I believe they wont help, look at me or take me seriously. I know am constantly dizzy, weak, deficient in multiple areas and supplements aren’t helping (I feel my doctor wont help me either, I'm loosing weight every day and getting weaker).

I was asking for Panadol for 2 and a half days and I recall they kept saying, we need to wait for the doctor to write it up first, which I learnt later was not true.

They were late with my very important medication that I need every morning but couldn’t have until late afternoon all because the medicine hadn’t been written up yet.

I feel I need help with nutrition but no one will listen.

In my opinion, the doctors have no idea what they are doing, how to treat someone with multiple chronic illnesses or how to listen when someone expresses there concerns because the patient knows their body best.

I have been seeing my doctor for months now. And one of the things I needed to do when I was discharged was see my doctor within 5-7 days. I cant get in to them for 2 weeks. I understand they expect me to go back to ED if I'm still sick. In my experience, every ED visit is traumatic and it takes days for me to recover. It takes all my energy re-explaining what's happening and dealing with difficult people. What do I do, I cant see a different doctor because I only see this one. My doctor seemingly won't even test me to see if I'm malnourished.

Can you please help me with this complaint and to get proper nutrition (I have tried advocating for my self but I feel no one will listen or take me seriously. So I believe I am I expected to starve and just suffer.)

Thankyou, bluedd38

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Response from Derek Fraser, Operations Manager Geraldton Hospital, WA Country Health Service 4 months ago
Derek Fraser
Operations Manager Geraldton Hospital,
WA Country Health Service
Submitted on 14/01/2022 at 11:28 AM
Published on Care Opinion at 11:29 AM

Dear bluedd38,

I am sorry to hear about your experience when attending Geraldton Hospital and the distress this is causing you. Thank you for utilising Aishwarya’s CARE call to escalate your concerns whilst you were an inpatient.

Please accept my apologies that you feel your symptoms have not been addressed. As a priority I would welcome the opportunity to assist you to resolve ongoing medical concerns related to proper nutrition. 17kg of weight loss in one month, feeling as if you are starving and suffering with dizziness and weakness must be of great concern, particularly if you do not have a thorough understanding of why the weight loss is occurring or the plan of treatment. In addition to assisting with nutrition, I believe we can work together to develop an understanding of your care needs and plan for any future care required.

I acknowledge that I am asking you to repeat your story and understand how this affects your wellbeing. I do not wish to place additional burden on you. I can contact you in the way that would be least disruptive for you. My name is Derek Fraser and I am Operations Manager at the Geraldton Hospital. I can be reached on 0899 562369 or derek.fraser@health.wa.gov.au. Thank you for reaching out through Care Opinion and please be reassured there are people that can assist.

Kind Regards,