You're offline
You're back online! Refresh the page
The site has been updated! Refresh the page

My father's experience

(as a carer),

About: Esperance Health Campus / Emergency Department

Early last year, my elderly dad had major cancer surgery on his throat.  They re-joined the stomach with the oesophagus and moved his stomach accordingly.

For many months he grew stronger, special diet, etc .... until about later in the year when he began having difficulties eating food or swallowing liquid.

My parents live an 8 hour drive from Perth - Esperance.  I arrived for Christmas only to see him skin and bone.  After watching him struggle with any food source, and when he was struggling mentally, I convinced Mum to take him to emergency in Esperance.  In the end, he couldn't even hold down water.

On arrival, they were seen by a nurse.  She took his details. She consulted the doctor in charge. He didn't even see him. Said didn't know what scarring was in throat so couldn't help.  Was told to drink water and soup. Go home.

My father continued his downward spiral for the next day or two until I booked both parents on a plane to Perth.  I drove up the day before they arrived, picked them up from the airport and took him direct to Fiona Stanley emergency.  He was admitted directly and is still there today.... on a food drip and scheduled for a stomach procedure in 3 weeks.

The surgeon that admitted him said it was good he took my advice and came to Perth on their own steam and massive expense.

Response from Carol Erlank, A/Regional Director, WACHS - Goldfields

Dear Peeved,

I am concerned to read about your father’s experience at Esperance Hospital and appreciate your feedback.

We would like the opportunity to investigate further and be able to discuss your father’s experience with you, could you please contact Carla Jones, Acting Operations Manager at Esperance Hospital on 9079 8161.

I apologise for your father’s experience and we look forward to hearing from you.

Carol Erlank