Long wait for pathology.

CHANGE PLANNED

This story may lead to a change

About: PathWest Armadale Collection Centre

Recently I needed to get a blood test urgently as I had a doctor’s appointment in the afternoon and needed my results for that appointment. I arrived at 7.40 am and there were already 4 people waiting. When the doors opened at 8.00 am there were at least 20 people waiting. A lot of these people were elderly or pregnant. I had my blood test after about a 40 minute wait (I was fourth in line but pregnant women requiring glucose test jump the queue which is obviously required for clinical reasons).

My concern is that people that are unwell or pregnant have to queue up (a lot of the time in the corridor standing up outside pathology) which I would have thought is very inconvenient when you are feeling unwell and would increase the risk of spreading infections. I didn’t think that part of the service was customer centred. The pathology staff were lovely and very professional.

Response from Tracy Dixon, A/General Manager, QEII Network, PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA We are preparing to make a change

Dear piscesgc68,

Thankyou for taking the time to let me know of your experience at one of our collection centres recently. We are aware that at peak times some of our centres are extremely busy, and patients may wait longer than optimal.

We are currently in the process of installing technology that will better inform us on these times and demand at various locations. We can then look at better addressing these issues to improve waiting times and amenities for these facilities. Please be assured that we are taking steps to ensure our customers do not wait for extended periods where possible.

Can I please request that you contact our Specimen Collection Manager - Mrs Elaine Toogood on 6457 4514 and provide us with some specific details of your visit? This will be valuable to assist us in our investigations and response to these issues.