Waiting list for the waiting list

About: Royal Perth Hospital

In 2016, I got a referral placed in central clearing house for public patients. Royal Perth Hospital took the referral. They sent me a letter confirming this and telling me to wait for a letter with an appointment time.

18 months later they sent me a letter asking if I was still interested in the ear, nose and throat (ENT) procedure. I sent back a yes with the comment that I am still choking. No reply. A few months after that I had my GP check if they had lost the paperwork. They kindly informed the GP that they are working on 2015 referrals and should get to 2016 in 12 months or so, to put me on the actual waiting list. Gee, thanks. I throw up several times a week, sometimes multiple in one day. I choke and cannot breathe if I face straight on, so I walk with my head turned to the right. I have lost 3/4 of my crowns as the posts have eroded.

This has been a few years getting to this point. What is the use? Did Royal Perth Hospital (RPH) have a quota to fill? Why did they take the referral? Are they instigating a policy of waiting for clients to die or give up? I am beyond angry and feeling utterly helpless. Given that WACHS knows there is physio only once a month in my rural area, how will I re-train my neck to operate correctly? Service at RPH is, in my opinion, abysmal and I haven't even set foot inside the door.

Response from Dori Lombardi, Director of Nursing, Royal Perth Bentley Group

Dear ink6306,

Thank you for contacting us about your experience so that we are aware of the situation and can provide you with an explanation and support. What you describe living with daily must be very painful and debilitating and I understand how this has left you feeling helpless. I am very sorry that it has gotten to this point. Referrals are allocated to the hospitals by the WA Central Referral Service based on which hospital they determine to be the most suitable based on the patient location, speciality required and the level of service required. Unfortunately, waitlists for appointments at public hospitals can be lengthy depending on the service required.

However, I am concerned about your deteriorating condition and would very much like to speak with you. Can I ask you to please contact my office on 9224 2219 so that we can talk in person. I apologise again that you have been left feeling this way and encourage you to contact me.

Yours sincerely