Denied access to eat in Fun on Four

(as a parent/guardian),

About: Perth Children's Hospital

My child needs to eat a high calorie diet due to malnutrition which is part of their syndrome.

My child eats hot chips regularly at the hospital. My child eats them in the food courts, waiting areas, doctors consult rooms, everywhere!

Was told that my child was not allowed to eat them when trying to enter the Fun on Four area. I am a responsible parent and do not allow my child to make mess of food anywhere. I explained my child's need to eat these kinds of food regularly and the staff member refused.

We sat outside while my child ate them therefore reducing their playtime as we are always on a tight schedule between appointments.

When we returned into the Fun on Four zone - I saw a sign that said 'please no eating inside, however families are welcome to use the outdoor area'. I lost it at the staff member who had given me misinformation. This area is supposed to be fun, inclusive and help forget about being in hospital.  This area allows kids to play messy crafts and they are worried about a few hot chips. I feel that it’s pathetic!

Response from Victor Cheng, Executive Director, Health Service Managament

Dear saturnmy64,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. I’m sorry about this experience, and that your child missed out on play time. I acknowledge your frustration. Please be assured our staff and volunteers are committed to their work and do their best to accommodate the needs of our patients and families. It seems that on this occasion, the team member on Fun on Four made an error by not mentioning the outdoor play area as an option for you, and I’m sorry for this mistake. I sincerely hope you and your child have a more positive experience next time you visit.

Dr Victor Cheng