Emergency Department assessment

(as a parent/guardian),

About: York Health Service / Emergency Department

I took my child to the York Hospital Emergency Department recently at around 7 pm as my child had burnt their leg on a motorbike exhaust the day before. I had put a strip of Fixomull over it but it was coming unstuck because puss had built up. I removed what I could and the rest was stuck.

The nurse at the York Hospital took a quick look in the waiting room and said:  go home and put oil on it to get the rest off, that's all we would do, you could wait here but it will be a few hours before we can look at it because we are putting the oldies to bed so you are better off doing it at home. I said: ok I'll do that and the nurse replied: if it's still worrying you tomorrow come back between 1:30 pm and 3 pm, that's when we do dressings.

As a concerned parent is this the appropriate treatment for my child's burn without any observations being done by the nurse on duty?

Response from Carolynne Ryan, Patient Opinion Coordinator, WACHS - Wheatbelt

Dear York,

I was very disappointed to read about your recent presentation with your child to the York Health Service Emergency Department (ED). Your experience is not consistent with the standard of care we expect of our staff in any WA Country Health Service (WACHS) facility.

All patients presenting to our EDs are to have a comprehensive assessment and where appropriate individual care plans are to be developed by the treating clinical team and followed accordingly. This includes ensuring appropriate advice is also provided.

Your feedback will be discussed with the staff at York, in order to improve services and the level of care provided. Additional education will also be provided to staff regarding the appropriate burns management for ED patients and of their requirements to ensure appropriate assessments are undertaken as per WACHS policy.

Thank you for taking the time to share your story and I am sorry that your experience was not positive and hope your child is recovering well.

Best wishes