Five visits to emergency in a week

(as a relative),

About: Armadale Hospital / Emergency Department

My elderly parent was having terrible pains in their stomach. So they  went to emergency and was told it was gastritis, four separate times.  The fifth visit to the hospital I told them not to leave until they find out what it really was.  So they stayed overnight and finally after complaining about the pain under their right rib the hospital worked out it was gallbladder stones. Which I feel is no surprise.

So after they had surgery the next day to have it removed and it was full of stones. So the two doctors that checked the ultrasound missed the stones in their gallbladder and insisted it was gastritis. This was at Armadale Hospital WA.

Terrible for an elderly person.

Response from Mary Ferrier, Acting Executive Director, Subscriber: CE Executive Leadership Group (Nsg-Mid Dir), Armadale Kalamunda Group

Dear vegaqs45,

I am sorry to hear that your parent had such a terrible and painful journey with their diagnosis and treatment of gallstones. The experience may have also caused stress and frustration for you. It is never easy to see your loved ones in pain.

I am concerned about your parent’s experience as you have described it. The Director of Emergency Medicine would appreciate the opportunity to discuss and review the care provided to your parent. If you are agreeable, please contact me on (08) 9391 2101 so we can facilitate an appropriate time to meet with you.

Thank you for bringing this important matter to our attention, it is important that we are able to provide appropriate emergency care to anyone who presents to the Emergency Department. I do hope we hear from you soon.

Yours sincerely,