This is Care Opinion [siteRegion]. Did you want Care Opinion [usersRegionBasedOnIP]?

"I only desire that my parent has a dignified, peaceful, pain free end in a supportive medical environment"

About: Gold Coast University Hospital

(as a relative),

My parent is elderly, lives on their own in a small caravan, they are unable to care for themselves, is bed bound, in pain, immobile and has advanced Pancreatic Cancer spread to stomach, lungs, hip.

They have had multiple litres of fluid removed from their lung cavities.

The hospital staff have told me they will be released to their home, to fend for themselves, with minimal palliative care support.

I do not live in QLD and have nowhere low cost to live to oversee their care at home.

They have limited lifespan left and I only desire that they have a dignified, peaceful, pain free end in a supportive medical environment, such as palliative care at Hospice in a funded bed, or Palliative ward at a hospital.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Patient Opinion 7 years ago
Submitted on 1/10/2015 at 1:45 PM
Published on Care Opinion at 1:50 PM

Dear Hack,

Thank you for posting your story on Patient Opinion. The hospital you refer to is not a subscriber of Patient Opinion and so may choose not to respond to anonymous stories. Patient Opinion Australia is concerned about your parent’s wellbeing and we would like to offer you a few contacts that may help.

Firstly, we suggest you make further contact with the hospital. Their Consumer Liaison contact is: and their service exists to:

- convey your appreciation to staff and advise them of any aspects of your care and treatment you found to be of an exceptional standard.

- assist with any concerns you wish to raise about the care or service you have been provided.

- refer your concerns to appropriate staff members, and keep you informed of the progress.

- seek to address and resolve your concerns and provide advice.

This Government page provides information on potential services you can access: Queensland Government Palliative Care

Finally, PalAssist is a free Queensland 24-hour telephone and online service for palliative care patients, carers, family and friends seeking practical information and emotional support.

The service is operated by a team of health professionals with nursing, social work and counselling experience who provide referral advice and support.

Call 1800 772 273 or search for palliative care services in your area.

We do hope this helps you to provide your parent with the dignified, peaceful and pain free care you wish for them.

Kind regards,

Jane Stanfield

Client Liaison

Patient and Care Opinion Australia

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful
Next Response j
Previous Response k