"Physio appointments"

About: Box Hill Hospital / Maternity Service

I have recently had a baby at Box Hill Hospital and had a wonderful experience overall.

I needed to access a physio due to pelvic pain during the pregnancy, so a referral was done. I got an appointment, but there was an 8 week wait to see a physio.  By this time I was almost due so was the appointment was not going to be any help to me.

Now that I have had the baby I need a physio review 6 weeks after birth.  A referral was made in hospital, but once again the next available appointment is in 11 weeks time. I am now looking at paying and seeing a physio privately as I need to be seen sooner than in 11 weeks.

It seems like there needs to be more appointments available in the physio department to women who come through maternity.  Waiting 8 or more weeks is too many when pregnant or post birth.

Response from David Plunkett, Chief Executive, Eastern Health 2 years ago
David Plunkett
Chief Executive,
Eastern Health
Submitted on 14/06/2018 at 09:15

Dear triangulumyk77

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding the waiting times to access a physiotherapy appointment. The detail you have provided will enable us to review our access to service to see what improvements can be made to shorten this time to appointment.

Whilst I am not mentioning this specifically to your circumstances, there is always a difficult balance needed between people who need urgent appointments and those that may not be as urgent. When this is coupled with challenges with staffing our services due to a variety of reasons such as vacancies, unplanned leave and ensuring we have specialist skills available, the team are constantly juggling these priorities.

I will forward your feedback to the leadership team to review and work through to implement improvements.

Many thanks again and I trust, aside from this issue, that you and your baby are doing well.

David