"Giving birth"

About: Karratha Health Campus

Finally finding the time to share my birth experience at the Karratha Health Campus!

Several months ago I went into labour.

The team at the hospital were amazing and supportive throughout the process.

As a first-time mum, I had no idea what was happening or what to expect. We thought we had plenty of time, but bub decided they wanted a quick entrance to the world (2 hours - start to finish). They allowed me to birth where I was comfortable (standing in the shower!). I didn't have pain relief (mostly due to timing) but they made me feel strong and empowered like I didn't need it anyway.

The birth suite had amazing facilities (not that I had time to use anything) and the recovery room was just as nice. Very modern and private (even as a public patient). The food was a little average and my partner didn't rave about the pullout bed.

Due to COVID, we weren't able to have visitors but the team allowed us to discharge the next day. This was so important and special, it meant bub's sibling and grandfather could meet them and be apart of the occasion.

Thank you to the team that was on the afternoon shift that afternoon.

We appreciate you so much xx

Response from Liam Avery, Regional Manager, Mental Health and Drug Service, WA Country Health Service (WACHS) Pilbara last month
Liam Avery
Regional Manager, Mental Health and Drug Service,
WA Country Health Service (WACHS) Pilbara
Submitted on 22/10/2020 at 17:02

Dear Empowered mum,

That was such a wonderful experience and I thank you for taking the time to share that with us all.

The maternity team at Karratha Health Campus are great and I will be sure to share this feedback with them, it will be most appreciated and especially the team that were on during your labour.

My apologies about the food, the kitchen does cook fresh for patients. Perhaps if you have time to provide additional feedback for what we could improve then I would like to hear from you.

My name is Liam Avery and I am the acting Operations Manager for West Pilbara, please contact me on Liam.Avery@health.wa.go.au or by phone 9144 7777.

Kind regards,