"The treatment we received in ED"

About: Dongara Eneabba Mingenew Health Service / Emergency Department

(as other),

My spouse had a fall around midnight and was knocked unconscious (for around 5 to 10 minutes) and received a large gash on their head. I rang for an ambulance and was told one is on its way and would be there shortly. Some time had gone by and while I was trying to stop the bleeding I received a call from 000 saying they could not get an ambulance and that I would have to get my spouse to the emergency department and that they would call ahead and make them aware we were on our way. At this stage, it was 1 hour after the incident.

Once we arrived I was shocked that rather than help my spouse, lay them down or help with the bleeding they just wanted their details.

After giving all my spouse's details and explained what had happened and how long they were unconscious, a clinician took a photo of their head wound and said they could not help with the wound on their face and that we would have to go to another Emergency.

I explained we had been out for a drink that night and that I would be over and that I could not drive to the other hospital. Even though I had not had a drink for a few hours I felt I was not comfortable driving that distance if I was over the limit. I was told the staff member could find a breathalizer if I wanted but either way, I still felt uncomfortable driving that distance. I said I would try and ring someone. Not being able to contact anyone at this stage we had to leave my spouse's head still with a large open wound. I asked if there was nothing they could do, could I please get something to cover the wound and to help stop the bleeding which the staff member said ok and put three steri stripes on.

Now I understand that if they were not comfortable with touching my spouse, but with being unconscious for so so long at very least I thought they would have kept them there until an ambulance was available in case there was serious internal bleeding in their head, and I felt that it was very clear to see my spouse was not fully coherent.

When we finally got to the other hospital's emergency, the care we received was second to none, which can be read here.

My spouse received several stitches and a cat scan and was told they have a serious concussion.

Response from Di Franklin, A/Operations Manager, Midwest Murchison, WA Country Health Service Midwest last week
Di Franklin
A/Operations Manager, Midwest Murchison,
WA Country Health Service Midwest
Submitted on 29/04/2021 at 17:52
Published on Care Opinion on 30/04/2021 at 08:48

Dear fraqz63,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Care Opinion.

I am sorry to hear that your experience at the Dongara Health Centre did not meet your expectations. I would like to assure you that we have taken your comments seriously and I have started an investigation. If you would like to get in touch with me in the meantime, please contact me by phone on 9956 2268 or email: Di.Franklin@health.wa.gov.au.

Thank you for your patience.

Di Franklin